In December 1938, a group of leaders in the rural Disputanta area of Virginia acted on a vision of improved quality of life that residents in the rural areas of the state should have by having access to electric power, just like people in the cities. Consequently, Prince George Electric Cooperative was issued a charter by the State Corporation Commission on January 1, 1939. In August 1940, REA lines were electrified to serve about 300 customers over 165 miles of power lines in the rural areas of Prince George and Sussex counties. It was the first time houses, many that had been wired for months, were able to offer the comforts of an automatic overhead light and running water. Rural residents of Surry County requested that power lines be built to serve them also.
The first Cooperative office was located in an old store in Disputanta in Prince George County…hence the name Prince George Electric Cooperative. In 1946, the office moved to a store in Waverly and built offices and a warehouse on its current location on Highway 460 in 1951. That site was renovated and expanded in 2004. A second customer service office was opened in Prince George County, near the Courthouse, to better serve members in that area.
The Cooperative has grown from that vision and now serves over 12,000 meters along 1,300 miles of power lines in 6 counties. Our members include residences, small and large businesses, large load commercial and industrial accounts, and agriculture as well as public schools and churches.